Many of us simply do not understand most of the medical terms that the doctors are expert in throwing at us. They are as good as bouncers for people like us and we shake our heads in acceptance of what the doctor explains, without even once knowing what the meaning of the term actually is.
Why are medical dictionaries important? Well you can blame it on the terms that the medicos use or simply acknowledge your lack of understanding medical terms, either way it is your loss. While some doctors are patient enough to explain these never-before-heard terms, in comprehensive ways, you can find some doctors who do not feel the need to explain the terms in simple words. That’s where you can think of access to a good online medical dictionary.
Online medical dictionaries can help you expand your knowledge that can help you if you have any health conditions. You can get the nearest help online by referencing to various websites that provide with free medical dictionaries for your use. Apart from expanding your knowledge in the medical field, the medical dictionaries are a great way to know what diseases you are getting cured of. You can find quality medical dictionaries online effortlessly and help you with some extra knowledge. Check a few here for easy access to words that you cannot pronounce or understand the meaning of.
Online medical dictionaries
1. Medline Plus – this dictionary helps you comprehend some of the most difficult and unheard of medical terms and their meanings. The website provides free health related information and queries. There are various pages that can help you with medical terms, meanings and abbreviations.
2. The free dictionary – the medical dictionary covers all authoritative descriptions like the medications, health conditions and anatomical terms etc. The website also provides suggestion box that indicates languages provided for use. You can also find audio pronunciations.
3. MediLexicon – you will find that this is a comprehensive database providing various medical terms, medical billing and codes, pharmaceutical companies, abbreviations, news etc. This website comes with 230,000 items and important information that is provided by professionals from various medical fields. The website also provides an alphabetical listing of words. This unique dictionary comes to power with Stedman’s Medical dictionary.
4. Medic8 – is simply the best one as it has more content and is a unique dictionary that provides articles as well.
5. WebMD – this medical information website is a top one and has great features that are necessary in the medical field. Apart from providing alphabetical listings, it also provides a search box. However, the sources are adopted from Stedman’s Medical dictionary that comes with precise and short meanings.
6. King’s Medical library engine – this website is all about terminology, medical dictionary and abbreviation search. It is also comprised of various resources. Here you can get information regarding drugs and also articles. Powered by Google, the web engine also recommends sites for illustrations and definitions.
7. MedTerms – the site is good at providing easy explanations of almost 16,000 terms and also articles that are good resources on MedicineNet.com website. However, if you do not know the spellings, make use of wildcards so that you get accurate results to be able to browse. You can narrow your search with the provided advanced search options that way you want.
These 7 dictionaries are free online dictionaries for medical terms and are great for professionals and even people who are lay persons. Besides this, you can also get many other information on articles, diseases, surgical procedures and health conditions from these websites. The online medical dictionaries should be authentic and able to provide accurate knowledge of the medical terms.